12.05.2010

12 Days of DIY Christmas: Day Five - Glitter Starbursts

I'm going to keep it real today. I'm going to show you a craft that failed horribly. In the end, I'm happy with what I came up with, but let me tell you....this one had me ready to call it quits on the crafting.


I'm loving all things glitter this Christmas. It's hard for me not to buy all the glittery decorations out there. I want to throw them all in my cart as I walk past them.


I saw this one on the internet somewhere...


It's a Martha Stewart creation. I figured it would be easy enough to make my own version.


I grabbed a styrofoam ball and broke my long skewers in half and stabbed them randomly into the ball...



Then I spray painted the starburst...



I used spray glitter on it. I looked horrible. I tried "fixing" it by wrapping a ribbon around the styrofoam, which made it look worse....




So I started all over again. This time I used my patience and logic and did a much better job. I bought shorter skewers (which were still too long). I also didn't just randomly stab them into the ball. I tried to keep it somewhat balanced by always adding two across from each other at a time. I then grabbed toothpicks and added them in for some more "fullness" of different lengths.


I spray painted a couple of coats on it. At this time I realized the starburst was still way too big, so I grabbed some pruning shears and started to cut off the skewers to different lengths. I used the ones I cut off to make a second smaller starburst. I used toothpicks on the second one to really fill it up as well. In the future, I think I would start by cutting all the shorter skewers in half and using a combination of toothpicks and skewers right from the beginning.


After spray painting it, I used spray glue and glitter to glitter it up, instead of spray glitter. I sprayed the glue and added glitter. This process actually took quite a bit of time, because I wanted to totally cover it in glitter, so I'd have to do it side by side and sometimes a couple of times on the same side. Make sure if you do this that you don't add the glitter in the same spot you added the spray glue...you'll end up wasting your glitter because the stuff that falls off sticks around the area and you can't dump it back into the container. I sprayed the glue to the starburst in a box and then used a tray beside it to dump the glitter on.


Then I added about 3 coats of acrylic sealer, so the glitter wouldn't end up all over my house.


On the larger starburst, I added a little hook to the top and a ribbon and hung it to the ceiling above my hall table.




The smaller one sits below and to the side of it....






Done.


There is something to be said about "practice makes perfect". This one isn't perfect, but I think the next time I attempt this, it will go a lot smoother because I know what I'm getting myself into and I know exactly what I'd do different.


Let me know if you try it or if you have any questions!



Linking this post to...

Sunday Showcase Party
Frugal Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Weekend Wrap Up Party
Saturday Soiree

17 comments:

angie said...

this is really cute! definitely worth all the trouble!!

Lisa said...

thank you!!

Cristin @ Simplified Bee said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing the how to.

xo,
cristin

radn said...

lovely!

The Mulberry Girl said...

So fun!

Candace@craftysisters-nc said...

That's really cool, the glitter made it perfect! Good job. :)

Lisa said...

thank you everyone!!

Terry said...

Oh that's me too...trying and failing and trying and finally success! I love the littler one and am glad that you shared. Terry

Decor I Adore said...

Love the way that turned out... I saw one similar to this at JoAnn's for $10 and that was at 50%off... I loved it but not so much that I would want to pay that much for just one ornament. yours turned lovely!

decoriadore.blogspot.com

☞ ⒶⓃⓃⒺ ☜ said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Thank you ladies!!

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

I spent a small fortune on similar ones for my tree years ago.

These would look gorgeous suspended from the ceiling...

If you have a moment, please link this up to Creative Juice Thursdays on my blog...

http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-take-two.html

Following you now so I don't forget this tute!
Nicolette

cheapcraftymama said...

Love this idea! I included it on my top 10 list of handmade Christmas decor at www.cheapcraftymama.com. Feel free to stop by and grab a button or link to show that you have been featured!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories!!! My mom use to make these with toothpicks!!

Heidi Szczepanski said...

Those are really pretty. I would spray them all with glitter! Thanks for sharing.

Buy Here Pay Here

Jennifer said...

It's a new Linky Party! Every Friday, share your favorite blog entry of the week and find out what others have been writing about this week! I've made this list a blog hop. So feel free to link this up on your site, too. www.fridayflashblog.blogspot.com.

Kimberly :) said...

I tried it, too. And failed. (I forgot to paint it first.) Lots of work. But everyone loves it.

Post a Comment