12.09.2010

12 Days of DIY Christmas: Day Nine - Stick Tree


Where do I begin with this one? I made it up as I went along, so how I made it, is not the most easiest or fastest way. I'll explain how I would do it next time, not how I did it.


It's an easy thing to make, but time consuming....or maybe it was time consuming because I had no idea what I was doing. I just had this idea and went ahead without planning or thinking....like I normally do.


Also, it was totally free to make because we had everything already...aren't those kind of crafts the best?



Grab a tomato cage and make sure it's standing straight (mine was not and I didn't think about that until it was full of sticks). Grab a few straight sturdy sticks and weave them in between each section of cage...





Then start winding the lights around the cage. I decided to add lights after I was half done...this made adding the lights very hard and took a couple of evenings because I didn't want the light wire on the outside of my sticks. I had to work behind and around them....tedious. Use wire to attach them to the cage.






Then add your sticks. I started with the longer sturdier ones to sort of frame it all and make a point at the top. Attach them using wire...





And keep adding sticks until the end of time...




Start at the bottom. If you can find sticks that curve out....even better...





Keep adding sticks...this is where I ran out of the more discreet wire and had to use the green stuff. However, by the time I got to the top and weaved different sticks in, the green was hidden.






I used a variety of different sticks from around our yard. It's not very pretty in the day...just a mess of sticks.






But I kinda love it lit up...






I have a feeling I'm going to take it all apart after Christmas and redo it all. Because of my process my tree looks a little sloppy and messier then I'd like it too. The lights also aren't distributed evenly enough.


I may be an underachiever but when it comes to these kind of things in my house, I can be a bit of a perfectionist. It will annoy me if I don't fix it.


I also need to add some other things to our front deck....ideas? I'm thinking some twig round globe things. Or next year making 2 smaller trees...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just Beautiful! I want to make one, and I will! Thanks for the idea!!!

Lisa | Her Beautiful Mess said...

I would love it if you emailed or sent me some pictures of your finished product!! Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

i have a screened in back porch. this would really look great there. i would add a white sheet around the bottom, and some fake presents.

Anonymous said...

i love it

Anonymous said...

I absolutely want this for my front porch! So inexpensive to make and looks so primitive! Love it!

Jamie said...

So I love this && started making it this morning! Like you, it's free bc I had all the stuff at home! It's VERY time consuming! It's been about 3 hours && I'm not even halfway thru! But I can't wait til it's done! Thanks for the idea!!

Anonymous said...

Love the tree looks great thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Just so pretty, loved it. Kate

Marilyn Wallace said...

Your tree looks absolutely wonderful....

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. All I have to find is the tomato cage. I have kplenty of sticks.
This will be great on my deck. And I don't have to worry about it. Free is free how good is that?
If I give you the credit can I pass it along to friends and family?
Thanks for a great idea. Do you have any more great ideas? I can use all the help I can get.

Lisa | Her Beautiful Mess said...

Thank you everyone! Yes...definitely feel free to pass it on! We all love free or almost free ideas, right?!

Grandma Sue said...

Ideas for your deck; Luminarias, which are really farolitos. Luminaria is a big bonfire.
Anyhoo; Use 1/2 a 2liter bottler and freeze 1/3 full with water; add cranberries and just add a little water. add more cranberries.
Oops before all that put a medium or smallish Solo cup in with stones in the bottom so it can't float; this holds the tea light. You freeze the cranberries and water around the cup. Take the whole frozen thing out. Let it melt enough to remove the solo cup and the 2 liter 1/2, put the tea light into it. Viola! Farolito! If it gets too warm in your area, this won't work!

gloria larson said...

I luv your idea, I have a woods full of trees and sticks :) I am going to try this but they have wonderful lights that go on and off with a timer and you would never have to worry about them for the entire season, I am going to try this this week end also I always use those little plastic twisties that come in all colors. thanks

Sadie said...

I love the tree. I would like to know if it matters if you turn the sticks upside down? Thanks

Post a Comment