3.01.2012

The Writing Is On The Wall



 
Yaaa...a tutorial!


A real tutorial...by me!!  When was the last time I did one?  I don't even remember.


Since I revealed my bedroom, I can now start posting some "how to's" for different elements in my room.


The first tutorial I'm going to do is the Phenomenal Woman poem by Maya Angelou that's on my wall.


I have loved this poem for years and when I started the process of making over my room, I knew I wanted to incorporate  it or part of it in some way or another.


I went from thinking about making a framed digital art piece to getting custom vinyl made to figuring out how to get my hands on a projector to a million other thoughts.


I honestly can't remember when the light bulb turned on or what triggered this idea, but I've done something similar to it before (on a much smaller scale) that I guess this really wasn't that "new" of an idea for me.


I spent a bit of time trying to figure out what size I wanted the letters to be.  Once I got that figured out, I traced them off the monitor like I did with my "eat" sign. Obviously printing them would save you approximately 3, 146 hours but I had time and no printer, so this worked for me.





Grab your carbon paper....



 Do you see where I'm going with this?  Time consuming?  Yes. Cheap? Ummm ... very!


Meet my new best friend.  I got this little treasure for super cheap from Rona.




She sticks to the wall (without wrecking it) and provides a nice level line for you to work with.  I've abused her many times since then and she's still going strong.  I do love her.





 And go word by word with your carbon paper, transferring the poem to the wall....





...until you think about ending your life from being overworked or if you are less dramatic than I am, until it's done.






Then take a few days off.  Have a drink or two...actually...don't drink....you need a steady hand.  Have a few drinks while you forget how long the first two parts took you, then get ready for round  3 and when your arm is steady again, start painting.





Painting forever and ever.  Amen.




Think about doing a second coat on the words and decide that the reason you take meds is to keep the crazy at bay and figure it's okay the way it is.


Stand back and love it.





And I do.  I lie in bed and just read it over and over again.  I love the entire poem, but this verse is my favorite.


It speaks to me.


Decorate Tutorials A girl and a glue gun


A Little Inspiration

Lovely Crafty HomePhotobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming













This post is linked to:

House of Hepworths
Momnivore's Dilemma 
Lovely Crafty Home 
Chic On A Shoestring Decorating 
The Shabby Nest
Mum Of All Trades 
Tatertots and Jello
A Little Inspiration
Sew Chatty
Under The Table and Dreaming
Craft O Maniac
Home Stories A to Z
Not Just A Housewife 
Hope Studios 
Tip Junkie 
Ginger Snap Crafts





28 comments:

The mum of all trades said...

Wow! This is fantatsic. It looks so professional. I would really love it if you would share it on my blog party this weekend. Hope you can join in.

Shazronnie said...

That is brilliant!

Tesiah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tesiah said...

Looks great! I'm stopping by from the tatertots and jello link party!
theframedlady.com

Angie Ramirez said...

oh wow! I love this.. I will be trying this on my wall! :)

Found you on TT & J! I would love for you to come by and link this and any other projects you have at my Create & Inspire Party! :)

http://www.littleinspiration.com/2012/03/crete-inspire-party-plus-top-5-features.html

Hope to see you there.. ;)

Regards,
Angie

Maria said...

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like a lot of work and very precise measurements, but it came out beautifully! Love the font too. Just lovely!

Jessie@saavysavings said...

Wow - so creative and pretty!

Justine said...

Stopping by from the Sunday Showcase Party! http://queenofsavings.com

Katie said...

Wow! This is amazing! I can't believe you did it by hand! Love how it looks!

nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma said...

I adore this.

:)

glad to see you back at the crafting again...

sharing at pinterest. i need that levely thing STAT.

Feral Turtle said...

Truly amazing. I can't believe you painted this by hand. You must have been so sore when you were done. It's perfect!

Amanda @ Burlap & Denim said...

Great job! I love how dark the walls are and the contrast of the white paint. I'd love to share it with my readers and have you link it up at http://burlapanddenim.com/2012/03/party-on-mondays-1/

Elena said...

That is gorgeous!!

(And the little doo-dad that sticks to the wall? I'm getting me one of them!)

~Elena
http://acasarella.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love this! I love the look, I love the feeling, I love the quote!

Patty said...

Wow! What a project! But it turned out gorgeous! Love the font :)
found you thru the stories of atoz link up.

Ginger said...

That looks amazing! Great job! Would love to have you link this up to my party going on right now. :)

Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/03/wow-me-wednesday-41.html

Kara @ June & Bear said...

kudos for your patience. it looks fabulous.

Helen said...

I love it! It looks like decals- you've definitely got a steady hand.

nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma said...

hey lisa-

had to come back again to tell you that i featured you this evening at creative juice.

can't wait to buy that level...lol...

thanks for sharing it last week.

Is said...

Hi Lisa, stopping by from WOW me Wednesdays at Ginger Snap Crafts. I love how your wall turned out! You worked really hard but it was worth it! I'm your newest follower, and I'd love if you stopped by my blog.
http://www.handmadebyizz.blogspot.com/
Greetings from Spain

Lorrie said...

What a wonderful unique project! You did a fantastic job, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to do this, yours looks very lovely. I'm now a follower!

Nicole said...

stunning!!!

Ginger said...

Featuring YOU tonight! You were one of the top viewed links from last week's {wow me} wednesday party! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing.

Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/03/wow-me-wednesday-42.html

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That is so neat! I'd love it in my bedroom, found you at UTT&D. I'm now your newest follower!

Rondell

Kerri said...

This is such a great tutorial, and you had me chuckling all the way through it. I love that you did this wall mural without any special gizmos; not even a printer, lol. That takes talent! P.S. You mentioned RONA, so is it safe to assume you are Canadian? Me too. Great job! ~Kerri, A Pop of Pretty, apopofpretty.com

Kellie said...

AWESOME JOB! :)

Bettsi McComb said...

Wonderful! Even more so for the hard work you put into it. Looks like kitty agrees!

mommyiscoocoo said...

I love this. I love this! I love this! I had this hanging in my bedroom for MANY YEARS! I am your newest followers. We are kindred spirits (as Anne of Green Gables would say).

Post a Comment